Growing up in Herndon, Virginia there was a Chinese restaurant not to far from my house that I frequented pretty often. If you’re one of my homies from “The Ginny” reading this than you know what place I’m talking about.
My go to order was Orange Chicken. Delicious? Yes! Healthy? Not so much.
I don’t know exactly what it was but the other day I was craving some. However, I didn’t feel like ingesting some MSG or driving to go pick some up. So I got a little creative and came up with this healthier version.
Grab your chopsticks and get ready to grub. It’s Orange Chicken Stir-Fry with Broccoli time!
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot powder, mixed with 3 tablespoons water
- ¾ cup orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon coconut or olive oil
- 3 (about 1 pound) skinless chicken breasts or thighs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 scallions, sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 4-5 cups broccoli florets
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar (or coconut aminos)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons coriander, finely chopped (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine arrowroot powder, water and orange juice and set aside.
- Heat coconut oil in a wok or a large skillet over a medium-high heat. Add chicken and fry for about 5-6 minutes, or until lightly browned. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the scallions, ginger, carrot and bell pepper to garlic and bell pepper and stir-fry for 1 minute, then add garlic and broccoli. Cook for about 3 minutes or until the vegetables are tender, but still crunchy.
- Return chicken to the wok and stir in the orange zest and balsamic vinegar. Stir, and then pour the arrowroot and orange juice mixture.
- Cook, stirring continuously, for about 1-2 minutes, season to taste and serve immediately.
- Nutrition facts per serving (340 g)
- | calories 251 | total carbs 21g | protein 30g | total fat 5g | cholesterol 65mg | sodium 120mg |
P.S.: I don’t do a lot of recipes on the site. Is this something that you’d like to see more of? Let me know in the comments below.
21-day transformation challenge and live limitless toolkit
Build a body and life you’re proud of without the gym, kitchen, or overwhelming fitness bullshit taking it over.
As a bonus you’ll get access to my best 12 strategies for living a limitless life.