Sugar… Awww Honey, Honey. And Cravings
We all have our vices right? Butter pecan ice cream, rum & coke, smoking, double cheeseburgers…. Peanut butter is mine by the way. I’ll just stick my hand in there like Winnie the Pooh in a jar of honey and tear that stuff up. Point is, cravings are going to come. So how do we deal with them and what do they really mean? Well giddy up!
What the hell are cravings anyway?
You might be surprised that food cravings are not really related to hunger very often. Cravings revolve more around us seeking pleasure then satisfying actual hunger. So you may be asking why do we tend to crave sugary or fatty foods. It goes back to that satisfaction line. Fats and sugary foods release chemicals into our bloodstream known as opioids. These opiods bind to receptors in our noodle upstairs and for a brief period of time give us a feeling of pleasure.
Food cravings actually begin when we were wee little folk in our mommies tummy. I am not a doctor but upon my research I have found that at some point along the second trimester our bodies develop both the sense of smell and taste. It is at this point that we can decipher various flavors or tastes (source McGowan). Depending on your mothers diet it is very possible for it to percolate into her breast milk. This can explain some of our cravings later in life.
So what the heck do I do about it!
First I think that it is important to touch on the possibility that what we are craving at the time may really just be a vitamin deficiency. Below is a quick study that the folks over at naturopathyworks.com put out. Click the link for a full outline.
Craving What you need Where you can get it
Chocolate Magnesium Nuts, and fruits
Sweets Chromium Broccoli, cheese
Fatty food Calcium Broccoli, kale, cheese
Coffee Iron Meat, fish, blk cherries
Soda Calcium Broccoli, kale, cheese
Overeating Silicon Nuts, seeds
No appetite B1, B3 Nuts, organ meat, tuna, beef,
Pretty interesting stuff if you ask me. But forget that for a second. I know you just want to know what the heck you can do to combat those cravings. Well here is a full proof plan baby!
- Drink some ol’ h20 More often then not when you think you are hungry you are more often thirsty or dehydrated. Drink a cool glass of water and wait a few minutes. Chances are that craving and or hunger will go away. Get in the habit of carrying one around with you at all times… emergency water if you will.
- Craving Sweet, then eat sweet If you are feeling like you really want some sugar try a few strawberries, or a ½ cup of blueberries, or maybe an apple or orange. How about some frozen grapes? Sugar free jello with whipped cream is an awesome sweet tooth killer as well.
- Brush your teeth I don’t get cravings very often anymore and when I do I was blessed with the ability to eat a single M&M and be done with it. Thanks Mom for those genes. But when I first went to a paleo and lower carbohydrate style of eating around 20 or so there was a time when I had them pretty bad (about 2-3 weeks). I remember googling what I could do about it and came across brushing my teeth. Sounds crazy I know but it works like no tomorrow man.
- Get some ZZZ’s Tons of cravings are due to the fact that we are not taking care of ourselves in the bedroom…ummmm….get your head out of the gutter peoples. I am talking about sleep. I personally slack in this department. I want to make it a priority but I just never can. The lack of sleep screws up your adrenal glands and cortisol levels which can make you crave certain foods and stimulants (coffee, etc…). So try getting a good nights rest. Put a dark sheet or piece of cloth over your window so that the sunlight can not wake you up in the morning. Sacrifice your favorite show or watching Sports Center for the 10th time in a row.
- Just give in Not all the time but here and there will not kill you. If you can stick with your nutrition/paleo plan 80 to 85% of the time you are in pretty good shape. If you have been eating really well all week long go ahead and reward yourself. You deserve it.
If any of you are having a really difficult time dealing with cravings, give me a shout. WE can go over your current nutrition together… SKYPE session! Hooray!
Peace, love, and health
How to Create Your LimitLess Life (in 12 Acts)
Life can be your victory if you’re ready to challenge the limits of what you think is possible. Get started with my 12 favorite strategies for extraordinary living by entering your email.
Plus, act now and get access to the 8-week transformation challenge.